Tuesday, November 10, 2015

The Elizabethan Fashion... Something...

Elizabeth Restricts Fashion

     Our majesty, the Queen, has decreed that effective this 15 June 1574- I give up, nope, I suck at writing in Elizabethan style, I'll just write in present everyday speak so you guys can actually understand me. Ok? Ok. So back in the times of you-know-who as of recent years, Queen Elizabeth passed a few laws called the "Statues of Apparel" which limited what you can wear because apparently people think that wearing cool looking stuff would elevate you to a higher class. (Well, it's actually a bit more complicated than that, but its one of the few reasons.) So she decided to impose restrictions on what the heck you can wear. 

     So one of the major things that the Statues of Apparel limited in terms of what you can wear is anything the color of purple. Because, according to TvTropes, Purple is Powerful purple was the color that was to distinguish the royal family. Only the royal family could wear purple to allow people to distinguish them from other lower forms of nobility.

     Quite interesting to note about the style of the upper class is the quite frankly odd fashion style of men, I mean just look at this dude:



     At the time, the popular fashion for Elizabethan Era Men were "puffy pants or breeches that ended at the knee." I mean, seriously, puffy pants. (Keep in mind also that the dude in that upper picture is wearing a skirt. Just saying)

     Thankfully, the lower class are far more sensibly dressed, being generally poor and not having money to afford for more important things, the lower class tend to avoid extravagant outfits.

See? Much less extravagant... I think
     Anyways, I've ran out of stuff to say about Elizabethan current fashion so I'm just gonna wrap it up here.

8 comments:

  1. I liked your voice in this post. I found it pretty humorous, but at the same time I learned something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you added a lot of (funny) voice in your post. It was interesting to see how they dressed during the Elizabethan period and how dress differed between social classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved how you crossed out things that remind readers about vital things, you also had a lot of voice!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Voldemort dressed in Elizabethean clothes? I think yes! I love how you incorporated modern elements while still having your main focus on the fashion part of the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you added crossed out words to make it more humorous, it really added to the voice of you in the response.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know that apparel was enforced. I always assumed it was just the amount of available money that caused a difference in the way people dressed. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I'm surprised to see that a color like purple can distinguish clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not know Queen Elizabeth passed a law limiting clothing. Your blog was very informative and entertaining to read.

    ReplyDelete